Music is a special gift, and this fun activity helps children and teens to practice their basic skills and warm up in the format of a game. The concept is basic, but the possibilities for practicing skills are endless. Parents and teachers alike can easily make this game, and it can be used alone, with siblings, or at a group or duet lesson.
Making the Game
- Gift bag
- Music or other fun colored index cards
- Lesson Book or Music Curriculum
- Use the lesson book or other curriculum to establish the skills that you want to cover. This is not limited to piano. The same concept can be used with any instrument.
- Write each skill on a card with a Sharpie.
- Put the cards into the gift bag.
- Ask the student to choose a skill from the bag.
- In the case of non-readers, read the card to the student.
- Wait while the student does the action on the card. Instruct and guide the student if necessary- or give praise if it is done correctly.
- For group lessons, the teacher can evaluate the knowledge of each student in the group by asking them to tell the student performing if they were correct. Then, the teacher can instruct if necessary.
- For home practice, the students can use the game independently if they are readers.